Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What, Me Worry?

I hate to sound snarky and mean, but I hate even worse being made to feel guilty for wanting to see different parts of the world. I am not intending on destroying any rain forests or belching hydrocarbons out of my ass. I don't intend to adopt any ethnic children as a repentance for my American guilt, and I don't intend to do any sexual tourism. All I want to do is visit various places around the world and observe the way other people live their lives.

One of the most offensive aspects of travel narratives are the travel books where the traveler goes adventuring to find themselves. Let me try and understand that concept. Travelers go to another country to see people so the traveler can find themselves? They are the most important thing about travel? In my business as a licensed professional counselor we would call this narcissism. "You only exist so I can see my own reflection in you."

Gotta run. Meeting a friend to discuss Ireland. I will return to this topic next time. Narcissism and travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment